Saturday, March 16, 2013

Sanctuary

   The sanctuary can only be described in one word; vast. Its magnificent ability to encompass the mind and envelope the soul is nothing less than impressive. This is the place I consider my special chill zone, because its size combined with its terrain makes it the perfect area to hang out in. There are many places to hide and many places to be seen in plain sight in this area. There are long ditches dug into the terrain like mini canyons, where you could hide if you wanted to. Please god, take me away to this kingdom of immortal youth where I sacrifice the pain and the stress on the alter of joy. A place that's right for every  girl and boy to maintain their youth and their right to live a happy life. One big hill, two square miles, three big smiles, eight happy years returning to my spot. The only place more sublime than a parking lot, hours of climbing and singing my favorite Sublime songs, pretending my old friends are still here, singing along-having a blast, my only connection to the past, I often find myself wishing it could last but what's the fun in never participating in your future?  I guess sometimes you've gotta look behind you while you're walking forward, to see the history pure and clear.
     The year was 2005; me, Richard, Billy, Eric and Brandon going to the hill, having the time of our lives. Climb the hill on the Sanctuary with folding chairs, a cooler of soda and snacks. Hot summer days weren't a laughing matter, just talking about life over a Sprite or a Dr. Pepper. These were the days when the friendships were strong and we used to hang out together. The days so special we all remember. Now things have changed and everyone is gone, I try to patch things up with Eric but he won't come along to the hill. Richard and his two brothers Billy and Brandon were next to leave the scene, moving to Wyoming I mean. Now I'm left behind in Colorado, with many friends I don't think I'll ever see tomorrow. Steven stopped hanging out back when I had strobe lights in middle school, eventually I became a loner. I became the socially awkward man I am today. It was a slow, painful process that I somehow survived, I mean I still crave the social aspects of life and I say to myself "One day I'll be on top again, but for now I'll just stick with what I know!".
    As I ascend the hill, I imagine the faces of lost friends and recall the stories untold. As I smoke my Pall Mall menthol cigarettes, I look down upon the city where I hung out with my friends. I can see the Mr. Biggs that closed down last year, I can see the BMX park being taken down and replaced, I can see how the mall has changed and become a duller version of itself. In a way, the Sanctuary is a grave sight for the fallen soldiers of eternal youth. So much disbelief at the destruction I've seen. I swear, if all my friends weren't busy, I'd be partying on the hill. The smoking and the soda drinking, it could've lasted forever. My man Chris is too much of a rule follower to party, my man Zack is too young, my homeboy Steven is too busy, my brother Kevin is too far away. If there's one thing I'll be honest about, it's that I never expected to be alone by the time I was in college. For me, the party's never over, it's really just begun. May the party last forever, bringing me closer to the light. If only there was some way to restore my old life…

No comments:

Post a Comment